Ex-top Judge Onnoghen Appeals Conviction
Onnoghen, Nigeria’s former most senior judge who was found guilty of graft charges has appealed his conviction, his lawyers said.
Former chief Justice Walter Onnoghen was banned from holding office for 10 years by an ethics court in Abuja on Thursday in a case the opposition said was politically motivated.
The Mr. Danladi Umar-led three-man panel tribunal said it was satisfied that FG successfully proved its allegation that Onnoghen who had voluntarily resigned his position as CJN on April 4, acted in breach of the code of conduct for public officers in the country.
It held that evidence of three witnesses that testified in the course of the trial, were not discredited by the defendant who was accused of failing to properly declare his assets, as well as operating five domiciliary foreign bank accounts.
The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT)also ordered the seizure of the funds in the accounts since the embattled judge could not justify how he acquired the money.
“In a notice of appeal filed at the Registry of the CCT, shortly after the judgment, Onnoghen raised 16 grounds on which he faulted the decision and urged the Court of Appeal to set it aside and discharge and acquit him,” a member of his legal team told AFP.
“The appellant is urging the Court of Appeal to hold that the CCT lacked the jurisdiction to hear the charge and that the tribunal ought to have recused itself from the trial,” he said.
After Thursday’s ruling, Onnoghen’s lawyer Okon Efut said the process had not been fair.
He decried what he called the “unconstitutional” suspension of the judge in January, claiming it was the first step in what he said was a “premeditated” decision.
“Judgment had been passed before today,” Efut said.
“Justice has not been done today but it will be done tomorrow — if not by the tribunal or by our court, justice will be done by God,” he added.
Onnoghen was suspended from his post as the country’s top judge by President Muhammadu Buhari just weeks before elections in February.
The move prompted claims Buhari was trying to manipulate the judiciary.
A request to remove the chief justice normally has to be approved with a two-thirds majority of the Senate, but the head of state did not follow that process.
But the presidency defended the conviction of the former chief judge in a statement late Thursday, saying the anti-corruption war was “all encompassing and is not designed to persecute anyone for political or other reasons.”
It added: “The rule of law would lose its meaning and validity if only the weak, the poor and powerless are punished for their violations of the law.”
You may be interested
Tinubu takes election battle to MakkahWebby - May 20, 2019
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress has ripped into opposition Peoples Democratic Party, describing it as‘saucy, distractive, and…
Breaking: Nigerian coach slumps, dies after brief illnessAdemola Yakubu - May 20, 2019
Solomon Ogbeide, head coach of Lobi Stars football club, has reportedly passed away in the morning of Monday, May 20,…
9 days to inauguration of his second term, Buhari meets Tinubu in MakkahAdemola Yakubu - May 20, 2019
- President Buhari on Monday, May 20, met with the national leader of APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu- Buhari is currently…