Auto crash kills one in Onitsha-Nteje expressway
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has said that one person has been confirmed dead in a head-on collision between two vehicles which occurred along Onitsha-Nteje Expressway in Anambra State on Saturday.
The Sector Commander of FRSC in Anambra, Mr Andrew Kumapayi, while confirming the incident to newsmen in Awka, said the body of the deceased, a man, had been deposited at Wisdom Funeral Mortuary, Nteje.
Kumapayi said the accident which occurred at about 2 am could be attributed to ”speed and wrongful overtaking.”
He said, “The fatal crash involved a Lexus SUV with registration number-GGE339FU, whose driver lost his life in the crash and a Mercedes-Benz 911 with registration number – XA588ENU.
“The driver of the Lexus SUV tried overtaking but unfortunately had a head-on collision with the Mercedes-Benz 911, which was unable to give way.
“The dead victim has been taken to Wisdom Funeral Mortuary, Nteje while officers of the FRSC and Nigerian Police Force are on ground controlling traffic and clearing of obstruction caused by the crash.
”The vehicle has been towed to the police station for further investigation.”
Kumpayi urged road users and motorists to adhere to government’s directives prohibiting night travels from 8 pm. to 6 am, especially during the period of COVID-19 pandemic.
He also condoled with family of the dead, adding that drivers should drive with care and desist from speeding, wrongful overtaking and all forms of dangerous driving that could lead to road crashes and avoidable deaths, NAN reports.
You may be interested
India celebrates first direct flight from NigeriaAdemola Yakubu - June 1, 2020
Kindly Share This Story:..as Air Peace airlifts 312 India nationals from Nigeria to India By Lawani Mikairu India on Sunday…
Dugbe Market inferno: Makinde fulfils promise, doles out cash palliative to property owner, victimsAdemola Yakubu - June 1, 2020
Kindly Share This Story:Governor Seyi MakindeBy Adeola Badru BARELY a month after the fire incident that razed the Dugbe market…
#COVID19: Buhari Receives Report From Presidential Task Force As Second Phase Of Eased Lockdown Endsmabel - June 1, 2020
Nigerian Ruler Muhammadu Buhari, on Sunday met with a delegation of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19. The delegation…