North Korea ready to hold talks with Trump

May 13, 2017
70 Views

North Korea now appears to have accepted diplomacy in resolving its face-off with the United States.

A Senior North Korean diplomat said on Saturday that Pyongyang would be willing to hold talks with the United States if the conditions were right.

Head of the Foreign Ministry’s North America Bureau, Choe Son-Hui, told reporters at Beijing International Airport that her country “will hold dialogue under right conditions” with President Donald Trump’s administration.

Son-Hui spoke as she was returning home from Oslo, where she met with US academics and former US officials, including Thomas Pickering, former US envoy to the UN, and Robert Einhorn, the State Department’s former special adviser for nonproliferation and arms control.

The meeting took place amid a let-up in military tensions on the Korean peninsula after concerns over a fresh nuclear test by the North aimed to mark high-profile anniversaries in April failed to materialise.

After several threats of military action, the US President said earlier this month he would be “honoured” to meet the North’s leader Kim Jong-Un under the right conditions.

South Korea’s new president Moon Jae-In, who took office this week, favours engagement with Pyongyang to bring it to the negotiating table, unlike his conservative predecessors.

Jae-In said after he was sworn-in on Wednesday that he would be willing to go to North Korea “in the right circumstances.”

Asked whether Pyongyang is preparing to hold dialogue with the South’s new government, Choe replied, “We will see.”

Top Stories:

You may be interested

Executive Order: Trump Signs Order Targeting Social Media Companies
General
1 views
General
1 views

Executive Order: Trump Signs Order Targeting Social Media Companies

mabel - May 28, 2020

Days after a President Trump tweet about claims of fraud in mail-in voting got flagged by Twitter. President Trump signed…

COVID-19: NCDC raises alarm as test kits flood black markets
News
News

COVID-19: NCDC raises alarm as test kits flood black markets

Webby - May 28, 2020

The Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Chikwe Ihekweazu, has said that COVID-19 diagnostic test kits are…

ACF laments attacks on communities in Sokoto
News
News

ACF laments attacks on communities in Sokoto

Webby - May 28, 2020

The Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, has condemned in strong terms the recent attacks in some communities leading to the death…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.